Thursday, September 17, 2009

Writing Journal Assignment #2

Hello Everyone,

For your second Writing Journal assignment, please read the following article: “You Have Too Much Mail" by Christopher F. Chabris, Wall Street Journal. (Eastern Edition). New York, N.Y.: Dec 15, 2008. p. A.17

- From Falvey Library's homepage (on the left side), choose "Databases A-Z."
- Then choose "ABI/INFORM Global (ProQuest)."
- Next, click on the "Publications" tab.
- Choose Wall Street Journal: Eastern Edition.
- Write the article’s title or author in the “Search for articles . . .” data field, and perform your search.

You’re welcome to respond to the article however you wish. I do encourage you, though, to consider the following:

Consider the situation described in the first paragraph. How does it compare to your own experience?

Do you accept the writer’s ideas about technology’s affect on productivity? why or why not?
Do you agree with the writer’s ideas about multi-tasking and our brains’ limits when paying careful attention? why or why not?

Are the writer’s ideas about the “mismatch between our modern lives and ancient brains” persuasive? why or why not?

Please include the following information as a heading on your work:

Your name
Eng1050 – 20
Writing Journal Assignment #2

Please post your Writing Journal response to this article (200 - 250 words) by Thursday, September 24, 2009.

Have a good day.

Mr. Dierkes

3 comments:

  1. Jackeline Moreno
    English 1050-20
    Assignment #2
    Chabris’s article calls attention to the point that we have “modern lives and ancient brains,” but it does not present any substantial argument in regards to it. He comments on how having so many things to keep track of, thanks to the speed of technology, actually keeps one from getting things done. He complains about how his limited attention capacity can’t keep up with all the information offered by technology, but he doesn’t communicate what he wants to do about it. My own opinion is that he doesn’t have to pay attention to everything at once. It is possible to focus on one thing at a time and finish everything faster and well done. Fast technology is available to people but they have full control of it and can use it effectively or as they wish. When I work on my laptop, I find myself constantly closing the extra windows that pop up or that I’m not using at the moment. Chabris presents very little research about the brain and its limited functions. Even though he didn’t obtain his facts from very main authoritative sources besides one professor, I believe his claim about the limited focus of our attention when it is divided because of my own experience. I feel that he brings up noteworthy facts about the brain but doesn’t say anything important in the rest of his article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chabris talks about how modern technology bombards us with an overwhelming amount of information at an absolutely stunning rate. While I agree that we are inundated with information, I disagree with the assumption that our "ancient brains" cannot handle the modern developments that have been invented. After all, while he may clutter his computer and desktop with countless documents and shortcuts, many of us are adept at keeping our computer browsing organized and methodical. This article seems like the griping of an overwhelmed writer that uses obscure brain studies from an expert in Stockholm to support his theory that he has too
    many tasks that he needs to perform simultaneously. Nonetheless, I appreciate the idea that maybe we should find a way to make our brains sharper and more able to deal with the constant rigors. I am also sure that many consistent users of personal computers do need help to become more productive. I have personally witnessed people who are unfamiliar with shortcuts and links that could make what they're trying to accomplish much faster. However, I don't think this has to do with the fact that their brains are incapable of deciphering all of the tasks that are put in front of them. Instead, I believe that instead they may need coaching to become more productive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan Lyons
    English 1050-20
    Writing Journal Assignment #2

    When I read the first paragraph I couldn’t help but laugh. Most of it was exactly how I am and how unorganized I am, but I’m not always like that. I never have ten running programs up. The most to my extent is five or six, Firefox, email, Microsoft word, iTunes and maybe Microsoft excel or something like that. The Facebook thing I can really relate to myself; I go on Facebook multiple times a day but not religiously. My desk and shelves always have open notebooks and loose-leaf paper on them but in a somewhat organized manner. I like to keep clean and organized; whatever makes it easier for me to do my work is what I strive for.

    I agree with what the economists he mentioned in the article said, I think that technology really hasn’t done any harm, only good to the economy and human productivity. Think of how much we have accomplished, even in the past 10 years with the advances of human technology. I can agree that people can over do it with the e-mails and various programs that people work on, but that’s what they are getting paid to do. It can be draining and seem like a waste of time, but without those programs and these technological advances we’d still be in the stone age.

    ReplyDelete